It’s fair to say that harmonious family holidays and global travel revolve around compromise! However, before even setting foot on the plane, some expert pre-planning and secret tips can go a long way to ensuring a seamless and successful family journey…
Let the experts lighten the load and entrust your family’s precious time together with a host of specialists — from airport representatives and transfer services, to hotel concierge and in-resort teams — these helpful additions all come as standard when booking with a luxury tour operator such as Elegant Resorts. Such pre-arranged amenities and pre-booked facilities — from ski school to sports academies and in-villa amenities to tailored transfers — are little extras that go a long way in relieving stress and plotting the course for successful family holidays!
Successful Family Travel Supported By Experts
There is, of course, a handbook of hints to enhance your family holiday. Our top tips include pre-booking airline seats together, ideally close to the front, and requesting bassinets (depending on the airline) for babies. Also, sticking close to your daily routine, eating regularly, building in a nap time and adhering to bedtime routines (as much as possible!) can all help children to feel more settled in the changing environments. Once in your destination, a high-factor sun cream (previously tested on your child’s skin), protective UV swimsuits, goggles and easy-to-pack toys, such as a beach ball, or favourite doll and action figures, are all essential. Pop-up travel cots, inflatable bath seats and baby harness carriers are other lightweight essentials, too!
It goes without saying, that a good travel insurance policy (along with the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) if travelling within Europe) is another essential document to carry with you during your family holiday. Unfortunately, you can’t plan for every eventuality and there are plenty of scenarios that are beyond your control. Rest assured, however, that there are professionals on hand, whether medical, childcare or activity experts, to put families at ease and to provide excellent care throughout your stay. Whether you’re concerned about dietary requirements, allergies, toddler anarchy, time zones or teenage moans, it’s fair to say that today’s luxury resorts are very accommodating and well-rehearsed in dealing with all manner of mini dramas or toddler tantrums!
A Few Handy Family Holiday Hints:
• For families travelling to, or through, South Africa, it is now a legal requirement to carry and present a child’s FULL birth certificate. If not travelling with both birth parents, an affidavit will be required too.
• Pre-check all passport validity dates! Plus keep a note of all your family’s passport numbers handy – it helps should you have to complete any immigration (or pre-arrival) forms whilst on board the plane, before landing.
• Check the online FCO advice in advance to see what medicines a country will allow you to enter with ie, restrictions often apply for taking co-codamol into countries ie, Dubai. Copies of repeat prescriptions may also be required.
• If you’re travelling long haul with a baby, request an airline bassinet at the time of booking. Whilst these cannot be guaranteed, they allow babies to sleep in comfort and will free up your arms!
• For families transiting through, or going to, Dubai the airport offers complimentary buggies for families to use during their time at the airport. Plus, there are play zones for children to stretch their little legs before departure
• Taking off and landing can be stressful times for young families, as children can be especially sensitive to the change in air pressure and their ears often hurt. Allow children to remain asleep, or distract with lollipops or use headphones — above all, try to remain calm!
• Keep children hydrated, download their favourite shows in advance, pack plenty of snacks, wet-wipes and pull-up nappies in your hand luggage — just in case of any unscheduled delays! Don’t be afraid to ask for tap water on the plane, or for air hostess assistance with warming baby bottles.
• Older children love carrying their own travel backpack, filled with their favourite blanket, snack, teddy and books — many airlines offer their own complimentary versions too. Be careful with fruit however — for example, you cannot enter New Zealand whilst carrying any fruit due to the strict biosecurity at the airport
• Colouring, books and card games are a good diversion and can prevent children from becoming glued to the in-flight entertainment system! Ensure any sweets are not loaded with sugar — sugar free Gummy Bears are ideal!
• Making a plan for the day ahead can help families include everyone’s interests — morning at the club or beside the pool, afternoon at the beach or spa — and ensures little ‘Amber’ has her time in the sun and the shade — compromise is key for family harmony! A happy routine of play/relaxation and family time together is the recipe for holiday success
Family Travel Made Easy
From riding high on horseback, to making a splash with a boat full of water toys, the modern family likes to pack in the fun and fill up on activities. So, embrace everything on offer, but ensure you have together time, too. Whilst branded clubs and bespoke activities captivate little ones, both indoors and outside — allowing children to splash, play and learn at every turn — parents also need relaxation, plus time alone. After a little rest, the whole family will feel rejuvenated and listening to young ones laugh as they learn, seeing their bright eyes wide with wonder, plus watching them make new friends, is an invaluable holiday treat for parents! Holidays are the perfect memory-maker!
So, trust your precious holiday time with the professionals and plan your perfect getaway in stress-free style. Discover a wealth of tips and benefit from the secrets of successful family travel. Celebrate together, create memories and embrace every experience on the extensive resort menu — from private family picnics, to conservation projects and snorkelling safaris — there should never be a dull moment. No matter whether it’s a relaxing beach break, cultural journey or grand tour — families can definitely travel, too! Drive Australia’s Great Ocean Road, cruise the famous Route 66 in the USA, take the Rocky Mountaineer across Canada or sail along the Croatian coast, there is bound to be an exciting itinerary ideal for you.
Whether it’s revelling by the pool, bathing in the sunshine, soaking up the atmosphere or exploring as a family — a world of adventure and lifetime of shared family travel experiences awaits!
To plan you own luxury family holiday, epic adventure or grand tour, please call our expert Travel Consultants on 01244 897 578 or visit elegantresorts.co.uk.